Thursday, August 21, 2008

Waiting 50 years

Today was memorable because I went to the Social Security office, located in Lewiston, ID. After more than 50 years I have beat the odds and have begun to sign up for social security, which will gratefully arrive when I turn 62. I still feel as healthy and alive as when I was just old enough to sign up for my original card. It doesn't make sense for me to wait until I'm 65 or more to get full benefits, because I am not otherwise gainfully employed anyway. I was curiously melancholy going into the office, like one stage of my life was turning into another, possibly less exciting.I suppose that is up to me, that is, to make the rest of my days more exciting than the ones preceding.
It has been raining for the last several days, as earlier reported. The rain may damage the wheat crop with mold if it continues to be wet, and certainly the barley crop for malting purposes will be reduced in quality most likely.
I lost Internet service yesterday so didn't make a post. But otherwise life goes on much the same.

No comments: