Monday, September 8, 2008

Ciphers in Nature

I see a bubble of unknown origin
spreading a perfect wave
as a circle that grows on Pond’s surface
every now and then today.

Perhaps a fish
bumping against the glassy surface.

I read these as ciphers
telling me of my pleasure being here
which I presume to understand by intuition.

These whisper calmly in the silence, and
I feel this as the absence of emotion

Between the bird calls and tics of leaves
from insects pursuing their special habits.
I don’t see the waves of those sounds
but scientifically I know these touch my ears.

All these harbingers of pleasure
soothe my weariness as did the pheasant
that frantically emerged--
disturbed by my noisy feet--
and flew gracefully and loudly
across the field. Taking with him
the few light burdens of my life

leaving me careless and if not content
at least receptive to be so.

I can’t hear my heart beating,
I see it in the movement of my foot
when my legs are crossed
teetering, ticking rhythmically
showing the cadence of my life.

I am not the only one
who reads these circles and tics.
There is a kingfisher circling
ready for his dinner
-- as am I.

I.J. Hall, September 20, 2004

No comments: