Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day two of the retreat.

The bells at 4:00 are less unwelcome, since I woke a half-hour earlier to the raucous sound of some huge birds squabbling in the trees that grow in the courtyard of this men's dormitory. And I dress quickly after rinsing my body by dipping a bowl into the water tub outside my door. That is the way we clean ourselves and I will do my laundry in the same way on day four.
We move to meditation before 4:30 and sit and wait for whomever. Ajan Po comes and describes "catching" which is a way of focusing on the perceptions of our senses as they come into the "sense doors." I have thoughts about mindfulness, and wonder if it is really only 1/100th part of Buddhism. One of eight steps on the Eight Fold Path, which is one of four of the Four Noble Truths, which is one third part of the Triple Gems (three refuges) (dharma). Thus 8x4x3=96. Obviously an essential part that effects nearly everything else, but so are all the teachings interrelated. Therefore, why so much emphasis on mindfulness? I think it is a Western fad.
Our schedule for day Two is the same as One, with some different speakers. Again Yoga with an effort to be moderate, but noticing that I can do a little more. Breakfast and Lunch as usual features rice with Chinese savory cabbage: "I want to thank the caterpillar who left some of this savory organic cabbage for me."
At 2:30 the English monk clarified a little the background and importance of the sixteen step Anapanasati teaching of meditation. One important aspect is to chase or follow the breath rather than immediately identify a point and "guard" the breath, which is often taught and is actually step four of Anapanasati. He said this is very important to develop the "following" (which is also taught in Tibetan Buddhism.)
More walking meditation practice to break up the day, some more chanting and then tea at 6:00. After the 7:30 meditation we did a group night walking meditation and I found that I had difficulty with my balance but managed to go anyway. Those behind me must think I am drunk or drinking on the side. The stars were bright and beautiful around the several reflecting pools that during the day are full of pond muck and algae.
Sleep comes easily in spite of the hard surface my body confronts.

No comments: