Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New Moon

Each day the new moon
grows wider in its passage across the delicate blue sky
a symbol of contentment and growing harmony
not a religious symbol for me
yet an icon
acting as intermediary between me and Universe
connecting in this way expands my Soul
illustrating the Oneness referred to by the prophets
otherwise, I am at a loss to understand that.
Thinking of this essential unity, however,
does not inform my sensibilities.
It begs the question of the purpose for life
and sends the discussion scurrying off
in a different direction
like the silver tailed squirrel
that just happened across my path.
To my way of thinking, we learn more about love
and kindness by understanding all the
differences between ourselves and our
essential others –
and this is informative and beneficial
as long as we understand the similarities,
the message of waxing Moon and our essential unity.

I.J. Hall

No comments: