Saturday, October 11, 2008

Congratulations

Yes, I have been selected out of a group of un-known size to be the next Coordinating director of the Palouse Literacy Council. This means I will have a part time job that involves soliciting volunteers to help and advertising for adult clients to be served who wish to learn how to read better. Possibly this job will expand to serve math numeracy, and GED and ESL. The council will pay me a monthly "stipend" and I will have some office hours and do some presentations to companies and civic groups. It's about time I got off my b... and did something useful.


My Peasant Soul


I have this vision
Of my peasant Soul
Shining with the glow
Of the declining yellow Sun
Standing at the end
Of harvested rows of sugar beets
Gleaning in musical silence
The tops and sweet roots
Left behind by the anxious
And frenetic harvesters
The women, some rapped in
Bright red and flower patterns
Some wearing their black weeds
As monuments to lost loves
All these smiling generously
With their gold capped teeth
Gleaming, sparkling their
Simple joy as mine
Collecting their meager prizes
To fatten festival hogs
They labor freely, honestly
As I would hope to do
Solemnly they purify the loam
With their ancient, sturdy hands
Laughing, smiling and gleaming
Near Moscow, October, 1989.

November 11, 2003

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new job. That sounds like it will prove to be a rewarding job. I wish you the best. Don't get so busy that you can't come and visit!!

vickybu said...

Wow, that's fantastic! Sounds like a great use of your talents! I can't wait to hear your stories about this interesting and challenging job! Congratulations!