Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Tao of Love

I.J. Hall November 3, 2003

It is, inevitably, hard to say goodbye
Even when for such a brief interlude
We shared only a casual good will.
The fading brightness of one so fair
Hurts my hope of knowing such beauty,
Yet I cannot accept a lesser prize,
Choosing instead to remain in solitude.

My Vision dims ever so slightly
As my age accumulates, leaving its traces
Taking its toll, graying my wishful vigor.
Those years that blessed me are now my bane
Disguising my passionate and loveable nature
Behind a mask of uncomfortable smiles
That shames those who know better youth.

These lines carved into a rugged visage
Have hardened over an unbelieving mind
Hiding a Soul that remains open and daring
Mocking my erstwhile romantic inclination;
Thus being alive in futility is no great blessing.

Those few happy moments we shared
Were a bouquet that graced my hand
Now wilted as your sacred nature whispers
The truth of our unmatched blooming.
That transient beauty has its own tao
And I was the beneficiary of that Peace,

But knowing the glory of what might have been
Makes its passing all the more solemn.
We are blessed each by different gods. So
I say goodbye to my presumptive love
Before you make any greater sacrifice
And Hello to a new friend, casual and safe.

I must now expand spirituality on my own
And adjust my unwanted intentions,
But for doing this I am well equipped,
Having initiated this wise choice in similar goodbyes
I now witness the kindness of your demur.
Ciao.

No comments: