Friday, February 26, 2010

The heart of irony.

Atrial fibrillation
I've got it and here's what it is:
a supraventricular tachyarrhythmia. Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is associated with increased morbidity and mortality, in part due to the risk for thromboembolic disease. Atrial fibrillation treatment using medications or ablation may reduce recurrence, control ventricular rate, and reduce stroke risk. Management of atrial fibrillation symptoms should emphasize risk assessment, treatment, and monitoring according to established atrial fibrillation guidelines.

I am taking pills to reduce my blood pressure, and pills to reduce the risk of a blood clot. I hate this part. But apparently this has been the cause of some dizzy spells I have experienced. Hopefully the current episode of irregular heartbeat will correct itself in the next few weeks. If I still feel woozzy I may not be able to go to Thailand on March 25.

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

During atrial fibrillation, the heart's two upper chambers (the atria) beat chaotically and irregularly — out of coordination with the two lower chambers (the ventricles) of the heart. Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that commonly causes poor blood flow to the body and symptoms of heart palpitations, shortness of breath and weakness.

Atrial fibrillation can also cause fatigue and stroke. It's often caused by changes in your heart that occur as a result of heart disease or high blood pressure. Episodes of atrial fibrillation can come and go, or you may have chronic atrial fibrillation.

Although atrial fibrillation itself usually isn't life-threatening, it is a medical emergency. It can lead to complications. Treatments for atrial fibrillation may include medications and other interventions to try to alter the heart's electrical system.

So now that I have been diagnosed and am under treatment it solves a few mysteries and I feel more confident that I can live comfortably and in a more or less normal way. The irony is that my last post in this blog was about the allegorical Heart, and I was suggesting how important the development and appreciation of the role of the Heart is in implementing the useful principles of Buddhism. So it goes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh wow...I hope you feel better and things work out. At least you know what you're dealing with.